* Colby College Museum of Art — Known for its American art collection, the art museum is open to the public at no charge. Hours 10:00 to 4:30 Monday through Saturday. (207) 872-3936.
* Railroad Square Cinema — Showing a variety of alternative and foreign films, Railroad Square Cinema offers movies for all tastes and ages. (207) 873-6526.
Waterville Opera House — A magnificent turn-of-the-century theater located in the historic Waterville City Hall building in Downtown Waterville. The Opera House offers a variety of arts presentations. (207) 873-7000.
Redington Museum and Apothecary — Museum offers a local historical collection of furniture, Civil War and Indian relics, children s room, period rooms, and a 19th century apothecary. Located at 62 Silver Street in Waterville. (207) 872-9439.
* L.C. Bates Museum — Located on the 2,400-acre Good Will-Hinckley Campus in Hinckley on Route 201. Open April 15 through November from 10:00 to 4:30 Wednesday through Saturday, and from 1:00 to 4:30 on Sunday. Children's Saturday Morning Workshops available. (207) 453-4894.
Fort Halifax Fort and Park — Built in 1754, Fort Halifax is the oldest fort in the United States. Visitors may bring picnics, play in the large field area, and fish along the Kennebec River. Located on Bay Street in Winslow
Lombard Tractor — Displayed on Front Street in Waterville.
Waterville Two-Cent Bridge — Built in 1903, this bridge was the first to connect the river-divided communities of Waterville and Winslow. This structural rarity stands high above Ticonic Falls on the Kennebec River.
Good Will-Hinckley - History and outdoor buffs will enjoy an individual or group tour of * Good Will-Hinckley Homes for Boys and Girls. Founded in 1889, the landmark 2,450-acre campus features the L.C. Bates Museum with Arboretum & Forest Walking Trails; Moody Memorial Chapel; Good Will Farm; a Carnegie Library; and Margaret Chase Smith Gallery. FMI: gwh.org or (207)238-4280.
Blueberry Hill — Located in Belgrade, provides a scenic look of the Belgrade Lakes Chain.
Mail Boat Rides — Ride along with the Belgrade Lakes postmaster as mail is delivered via mail boat. (207) 495-2213 or 1-800-696-6329.
Walking Trails — Located off Cool Street in Waterville, Front Street in Winslow, West River Road in Waterville, Colby College in Waterville. (207) 873-3315. Click here for walking trail maps.
Berry Picking — Beaudoin Farms in Clinton (207) 426-8131; Underwood Farm in Benton (207) 453-6800
Apple Orchards — Enjoy apple picking, fresh cider, and homemade goods at various orchards in Mid-Maine. Lemieux's Orchards (207) 873-4354; Brown's Orchards (207) 923-3529; Manter's Orchards (207) 872-6078; The Apple Farm (207) 453-7656.
The Kennebec Highlands Project - Protecting a Natural Treasure and Outstanding Recreational Area in Central Maine kennebechighlands.org
Discover the Kennebec Valley - Moose River Valley Region - Now you can visit the great outdoors at home with "Discover the Kennebec Valley –Moose River Valley." In this virtual guidebook, we bring you up-to-date information on attractions, recreation, hunting and fishing, cottages and campgrounds, historic sites, events, and much more. Hey, if it looks this good on your screen, try discovering the real thing! kennebecvalley.org
Sports & Recreation
* Gifford's Famous Ice Cream — Offers homemade ice cream, miniature golf, and batting cages. Located at 170 Silver Street in Waterville. (207) 872-6631.
* North Street Playground, Pool and Water Slide — Located on North Street in Waterville. The pool is open from 1:00 to 4:30 daily, also open evenings on Tuesday, Wednesday.Thursday from 6:00 to 8:00.
Unity Raceway — Located on Route 139 in Unity. (207) 948-5232.
Field of Dreams Park — Offers walking trails, tennis courts, basketball courts, baseball fields, playground, and swimming access. Located on Rt. 202 in Unity.
Water Access — Swimming, Boating, Fishing, Canoeing, Kayaking: Lake Winnecook in Unity, China Lake in China, Webber Pond in Vassalboro, Kennebec and Sebasticook Rivers running through Mid-Maine, North Pond, East Pond, Great Pond, Salmon Lake, McGrath Pond and Messalonskee Lake in the Belgrade Lakes Region. Each has boat launch access. Call (207) 873-3315 for more information.
* Alfond Youth Center — The Youth Center offers pools, gym, climbing wall, club athletics, computer lab, teen center, and Eva's Place Café. Located on North Street in Waterville. (207) 873-0684
Benton Family Fun Park — The fun park offers go-karts, mini golf, ice cream, arcade, and NASCAR racing collectibles. Located at 271 Benton Neck Road, Route 139 in Benton. (207) 453-7933.